Ohya catatan dari kawanku, 1 ounce = 28.3 gram, buat yang pengen bikin, bisa konversi Unsalted Butternya 6×28.3 = 169,8 atau 170 gram.
Julius: Ceritanya lagi pengen makan Madeleine, kue imut-imut dengan rasa sedikit manis tapi enteng menggoda selera. Lagi setengah jalan kocok telurnya … eh, mixernya ngadat, berasap! Alhasil setengah jalannya lagi kocok dengan tangan. Bener-bener pekerjaan tangan yang melelahkan, weleh! Akhirnya di percobaan yang kedua, memang tidak sengembang yang sebelumnya, walaupun rasa dan teksturnya tetap ok. Kalo makan kue kecil ini bisa-bisa gak pengen berhenti .. gawat!
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter (for greasing pan)
- 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- a pinch fine-grain sea salt
- 2/3 cups sugar
- zest of one large lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- a bit of extra flour for dusting baking pan
- Special equipment: A madeleine baking pan, regular or small
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt the 1 1/2 sticks of butter in a small pot over medium heat until it’s brown and gives off a deliciously nutty aroma, roughly 20 minutes. Strain (using a paper towel over a mesh strainer) – you want to leave the solids behind. Cool the butter to room temperature. By doing the butter first you can complete the rest of the steps while it is cooling.
- While the melted butter is cooling, use the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to grease the madeleine molds – get in there and make sure you get in all the ridges. Dust with flour and invert the pan tapping out any excess flour. “Cooking spray” with flour can be used to simplify this part.
- Put the eggs with the salt in the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Whip on high speed until thick – you are looking for the eggs to roughly double or triple in volume – approximately 3 minutes. Continuing to mix on high speed, slowly add the sugar in a steady stream. Whip for 2 minutes or until mixture is thick and ribbony. Now with a spatula fold in the lemon zest and vanilla (just until mixed).
- Sprinkle the flour on top of the egg batter, and gently fold in. Now fold in the butter mixture. Only stirring enough to bring everything together.
- Spoon the batter into the molds, filling each mold 2/3 -3/4 full. I use a small cup filled with batter to keep things clean and manageable, it is easier than using a spoon.
- Bake the madeleines for 12 – 14 minutes (7-10 minutes for smaller cookies), or until the edges of the madeleines are golden brown. Remove from oven and unmold immediately. Cool on racks and dust with powdered sugar.